    SubjectRe: Proposal: Linux Kernel Patch Management System
       Date: 	Wed, 13 Sep 2000 02:15:58 -0700
    From: Daniel Quinlan <quinlan@transmeta.com>

    Here is a proposal to improve the kernel development process.

    This sounds like a really nice idea. If this helps Linus handle the
    load better and makes the process more smooth, I'm all for it.

    However, speaking maybe for myself alone, just providing a

    rsync torvalds@penguin.transmeta.com:/home/torvalds/src/linux \
    ftp.kernel.org:/pub/linux/kernel/LIVE/linux

    would be the real helper for people like me whose only real issue
    now is bothering Linus all the time to make pre-patches so I can send
    him known clean diffs.

    I don't want to sift through a log file on some web site etc. to find
    out what he's applied. Very simply, (drumroll please) I want to run
    diff. :-) With a whole "his tree vs. my tree" diff I also can
    immediately spot all sorts of problems, bugs, and conflicts that might
    otherwise go undetected until a later time. It seems to me that one
    of the purposes of this log+patch_archive is to be able to know what
    is in his tree. Why be so indirect about this? Just show us exactly
    what is there in a unified format, ie. the live sources themselves.

    With the "apply log" and patch application checker robot setup, there
    will always be a period of limbo where it's really difficult to put
    together a clean diff against a tree which really represents the
    current state of affairs in Linus's live sources. An rsync type setup
    would allow me to send a clean patch at just about any time.

    True, if Linus does not accept out of band patches, this is unlikely
    to be a real problem except for the issue how much indirection happens
    here to produce "a tree near-exact to Linus's". But Linus actually
    writes code too, is he going to be required to submit his patches to
    this site? I hope not :-)

    This kind of sillyness is why I think the live rsync, or some
    equivalent, is what is really needed at least for high bandwidth
    patch submitters like myself.

    Later,
    David S. Miller
    davem@redhat.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.021 / U:2.560 seconds]