    SubjectRe: VM in v2.4.0test9
    On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, David Weinehall wrote:

    > Running the included program on a clean v2.4.0test9 kernel I can
    > hang the computer practically in no time. The only other

    > runnning process that can be of interest is dnetc. Running the
    > same on a v2.2.xx kernel will just depleat the memory then kill
    > the offending process, leaving everything nice and dandy.

    Handling out-of-memory in a clean and predictable way is the
    next thing on the feature list. I'll add it RSN (I'm reasonably
    sure now that the current VM features are stable ... time for
    OOM handling).

    > What seems most strange is that the doesn't even get depleated.
    > The machine still answers to SysRq and ping, but nothing else.

    We do that on purpose. This would allow eg. swap-over-nbd
    to send out TCP packets, even though all "normal" allocations
    are blocked on low memory.

    "What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
    -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:39    [W:0.030 / U:1.136 seconds]