    SubjectRe: VM in v2.4.0test9
    On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 12:31:13PM -0300, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, David Weinehall wrote:
    >
    > > Running the included program on a clean v2.4.0test9 kernel I can
    > > hang the computer practically in no time. The only other
    >
    > [OUT OF MEMORY PROGRAM]
    >
    > > runnning process that can be of interest is dnetc. Running the
    > > same on a v2.2.xx kernel will just depleat the memory then kill
    > > the offending process, leaving everything nice and dandy.
    >
    > Handling out-of-memory in a clean and predictable way is the
    > next thing on the feature list. I'll add it RSN (I'm reasonably
    > sure now that the current VM features are stable ... time for
    > OOM handling).
    >
    > > What seems most strange is that the doesn't even get depleated.
    > > The machine still answers to SysRq and ping, but nothing else.

    I missed out a swap above ("is that the swap doesn't")

    > We do that on purpose. This would allow eg. swap-over-nbd
    > to send out TCP packets, even though all "normal" allocations
    > are blocked on low memory.

    Mmmm, still, why doesn't it at least begin to swap?!

    /David
    _ _
    // David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
    // Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
    \> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:39    [W:0.022 / U:32.336 seconds]