    SubjectRe: VM in v2.4.0test9
    On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 01:01:21PM -0300, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, David Weinehall wrote:
    >
    > > Running the included program on a clean v2.4.0test9 kernel I can
    > > hang the computer practically in no time.
    >
    > > What seems most strange is that the doesn't even get depleated.
    > > The machine still answers to SysRq and ping, but nothing else.
    >
    > Looking again at this report in more detail, something
    > very strange is going on ...
    >
    > > This is what I got from SysRq+M (manual copy):
    > >
    > > Free pages: 500 kB (0 highmem)
    > > Active: 8 inactive dirty: 1009, inactive clean:0
    > > free: 125 (31 62 93)
    >
    > First, you have MORE free memory than freepages.high. In this
    > case I really don't see why __alloc_pages() wouldn't give the
    > memory to your processes ....

    Beats the hell out of me.

    > > Free swap: 64772
    >
    > And there is tons of swap free...
    >
    > Are you absolutely sure this is VM related? This almost looks

    Nope. All I'm sure of is that the v2.2.xx kernels doesn't show the same
    behaviour, so it _shouldn't_ (but you never know...) be broken hardware.
    Of course, the v2.4 might stress the memory harder or something like
    that.

    > like the system puts a in a read request but the request queue
    > doesn't get unplugged, or something strange like that ...
    >
    > There is more than enough memory to satisfy all VM requests and
    > the loop in __alloc_pages() is straightforward enough to give
    > your processes their memory without strange bugs ...

    Yup. If you want to, I can put some debugging printk's into the kernel
    whereever you might want them and run more tests. I don't compile the
    kernel on this machine, so I have no problems recompiling. And it's a
    dedicated test-machine anyway, so there's nothing on that machine which
    I'd cry over if lost.

    I'm about to perform the same test on a K6-3/350 with 64 MB mem and
    >200 MB swap now, just for the fun of it.

    /David
    _ _
    // David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
    // Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
    \> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:39    [W:0.026 / U:61.556 seconds]