    SubjectRe: Interesting analysis of linux kernel threading by IBM
    Davide Libenzi <davidel@maticad.it>, David Lang <dlang@diginsite.com>, said:
    > On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Horst von Brand wrote:

    [...]

    > > Hondreds of tasks is just not a typical (perhaps even realistic)
    > > workload.

    > Yes it is.
    >
    > If you are running a webserver.

    Hundreds of CGIs running at the same time? Wow. But there I'd split load
    among machines way before...

    > Or a highly threaded application.

    Higly stupid idea, typically.

    > Or a machine with a lot of users. (For example, a University unix server)

    I have such machines here (dozens of users, plus random services). Rarely
    gets to 10.

    > Or an ftp server. (Where is the Linux equivalent of FreeBSD's
    > ftp.cdrom.com?)

    Hundreds of people downloading at the same time is not the same as hundreds
    of running tasks...

    > It is really a question of "Where does Linux want to go?"

    Benchmarkland, or real-world useful system?

    > If it wants to be a high performance server, Linux needs a new
    > scheduler.

    Say which hard facts?

    > If it wants to be the most efficient desktop machine, then it doesn't
    > need it NOW. However, the average number of programs people are
    > running on their machine are increasing, not decreasing.

    Yes. I expert load average to be in the ones soon, not 0.1s anymore.

    > Linux's real penetration has been in the server market. Why not make
    > it the best server it can be?

    Nobody is saying we shouldn't do it. But before screwing around, _measure_
    where the real bottlenecks (for _real_ use, not benchmarks) are.
    --
    Dr. Horst H. von Brand mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl