    SubjectRe: [rtl] Low-latency patches working GREAT (<2.9ms audio latency), see testresults ,but ISDN troubles
    On Sun, Aug 29, 1999 at 01:24:08AM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > A 25% disk i/o decrease is very serious. Lets get some serious feedback
    > > from people running internet and database servers before we blow off
    > > the server users in order to compete with BEOS.
    > For most people its unacceptable in that form, but nobody has yet sat down
    > and tuned the tuned code to get the disk performance all back. I don't think
    > the two are exclusive.

    I'm concerned that the major improvement has come from additional
    calls to schedule instead of from some basic improvements in algorithm.
    Calls to schedule are not free and I'm not smart enough to see an
    obvious way to add a rescehdule
    into a loop that dumps all write data to buffers without damaging
    thoughput. This seems like _another_ tunable parameter
    start io-loop
    do chunk
    end loop

    if (really_want_soft_rt > resched count)

    > We also have tons of time. Its not a 2.2. candidate
    > To unsubscribe:
    > echo "unsubscribe rtl" | mail OR
    > echo "unsubscribe rtl <Your_email>" | mail
    > ----
    > For more information on Real-Time Linux see:

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.041 / U:1.444 seconds]