SubjectRe: [alsa-devel] Re: [rtl] Low-latency patches working GREAT (<2.9ms audio latency), see testresults ,but ISDN troubles
[yodaiken@chelm.cs.nmt.edu]
> On Sun, Aug 29, 1999 at 03:34:41AM -0400, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> > BeOS is unique in that its the first vaguely stable OS to be designed
> > with multimedia in mind from the ground up. there are those of us who
>
> What does that really mean? MacOS is pretty good for multimedia
> if that is all you want to do and you have simple multimedia.
> Can you drive a robotic system, sampling sensors, driving a display,
> operating a feedback control loop, and pulling data from a large
> scale data base using Beos? I doubt it. Beos offers low latency for
> simple tasks, but DOS does that too.

Well, as you point out, BeOS is not a hard realtime system, however
the fact that the filesystem, block cache, drivers, etc are all
preemptable means you can get some pretty decent response. Interrupt
response from timers or IO interrupts in the 30-60us range is certainly
doable. It'd be neat to actually put together some benchmarks to
compare this sort of thing.

Networking on BeOS is not stellar, but it's servicable and performance
issues are being worked on. Raw disk IO is actually pretty good, to my
knowledge, though obviously real numbers are what you want here and
I don't have 'em offhand. Dominic's book on BFS does talk a bit
about that.

Again we're not hard-realtime and we don't cure the common cold.

Brian

--
Brian Swetland | Kernel Engineer | "Home is where the dot files are."
swetland@be.com | Be Incorporated | -- Keith Garner