SubjectRe: Out of memory -- System halted
Date
Matthias Hanisch wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Mike Galbraith wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Bob_Tracy wrote:
> > > "Out of memory -- System halted".
> >
> > Does bumping HEAP_SIZE in arch/i386/boot/compressed/misc.c to 0x3000
> > help?
>
> The cause of the problem was that the huffman
> code lookup table grew too much with some byte patterns in the kernel
> image. Minimal changes in kernel source code made the problem disappear.
> I second this to raise the heap size a bit (IMHO 0x2400 should be enough).

That took care of the problem. Evidently, what Matthias described is
exactly what occurred when I added the Cyrix coma bugfix code back into
2.3.10, i.e., the kernel compression characteristics were changed just
enough to allow things to work. The same trick wasn't effective to
allow 2.3.11 to boot in my case.

Let's *do* raise the heap size a bit. 0x3000 was effective for me.
Didn't try a smaller increment.

FYI, the problem has shown up on another machine I use that has the
"officially blessed" compiler setup: gcc-2.7.2.3. This isn't a gcc
issue, nor is it a Cyrix-specific issue as I originally thought.

--
Bob Tracy | "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist- "
Firewall Security Corp. | - Last words of Union General John Sedgwick,