    SubjectRe: Dual Ethernet Slowness Causing Lousy Benchmarks? (was: A very informative benchmark.)

    On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Jordan Mendelson wrote:

    > This is what I see from the C'T article (approximates):

    [everything's fine so far, Linux eats NT for lunch.]

    > Now here's the kicker:
    >
    > Linux 4 CPU Dynamic Data/2 Eth: 1500 requests/second
    > Linux 1 CPU Dyanmic Data/2 Eth: 1100 requests/second
    > NT 4 CPU Dynamic Data/2 Eth: 2600 requests/second
    > NT 1 CPU Dyanmic Data/2 Eth: 2100 requests/second

    no, it's not dynamic data, the c't issue i have here says that it's a
    single static 4k file served over 2 ethernets. (ie. 'the case for which NT
    and IIS is optimized')

    > Now scalability in SMP isn't the problem here, as even with 1 CPU we
    > can't beat NT's 1 CPU. It is either Apache's handling of the dynamic
    > data generated by the CGI, NT's version of perl is simply faster than
    > ours, Linux's scheduler hurting the perl process needed to delier
    > dynamic data, or somewhere, the network load balancing is not working
    > and we are maxing out on bandwidth or CPU.

    thats a misunderstanding. It's _not_ CGI scripts - thats nonsense anyway,
    we are over 1000 hits/sec.

    yes, IIS serves static files faster than Apache ATM - although i'd like to
    see the e-commerce site that serves one single 4k file over 4 100mbit
    ethernets ;) And even in the static-serving tests, Linux beats NT hands
    down if the number of files is increased to a more realistic value.

    i am getting 1-CPU performance of 3500 hits/sec (small static files) with
    a 'dumbed down' webserver-demo coded up by Zach Brown which uses
    sendfile() and Linux's async IO API. Apache 2.0 (judging from Dean
    Gaudet's plans) will be able to get such numbers as well.

    -- mingo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.027 / U:30.320 seconds]