SubjectRe: Dual Ethernet Slowness Causing Lousy Benchmarks? (was: A very informative benchmark.)
Ingo Molnar wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Jordan Mendelson wrote:
> > Linux 4 CPU Dynamic Data/2 Eth: 1500 requests/second
> > Linux 1 CPU Dyanmic Data/2 Eth: 1100 requests/second
> > NT 4 CPU Dynamic Data/2 Eth: 2600 requests/second
> > NT 1 CPU Dyanmic Data/2 Eth: 2100 requests/second
>
> no, it's not dynamic data, the c't issue i have here says that it's a
> single static 4k file served over 2 ethernets. (ie. 'the case for which NT
> and IIS is optimized')

Ahh, their web page says something different (either that or I'm just reading it
incorrectly). This graph was under the section heading of, "Dynamic Play", so I
assumed it was a graph showing a 4KB dynamically generated file.

Now if this was a static test, then the only difference between the first test
and the last test was the number of ethernet controllers used... and look at the
performance difference:

Linux 4KB static pages, 1 CPU, 1 Eth: 960 requests/second
Linux 4KB static pages, 1 CPU, 2 Eth: 1100 requests/second

NT 4KB static pages, 1 CPU, 1 Eth: 950 requests/second
NT 4KB static pages, 1 CPU, 2 Eth: 2000 requests/second

Then again, maybe it's just a poor english translation :)

> i am getting 1-CPU performance of 3500 hits/sec (small static files) with
> a 'dumbed down' webserver-demo coded up by Zach Brown which uses
> sendfile() and Linux's async IO API. Apache 2.0 (judging from Dean
> Gaudet's plans) will be able to get such numbers as well.

Nice. I've been tracking Apache's two seperate development efforts (the apr and
mpm stuff) and it does look good, though PC Week said that Zeus (which I thought
used sendfile()) gave just about the same performance as Apache in their tests.

Jordan

--
Jordan Mendelson : http://jordy.wserv.com
Web Services, Inc. : http://www.wserv.com