    SubjectRe: holes for ISA boards...

    AFAIK, it was never submitted for inclusion. It was pointed out to me
    when I asked about it just over a year ago.

    If Stephen Early's patch works, it sounds like a more generalized way to
    do it. It's also already included in the ACPI patchset.

    mid

    On Sat, 12 Jun 1999, Riley Williams wrote:

    > Hi Adam.
    >
    > > Christer Weinigel made a patch for 2.0.29 so long ago that
    > > let Linux use all your RAM and still have the hole.
    >
    > > It may still be available at:
    >
    > > ftp://rvs.ctrl-c.liu.se/pub/wingel/memory-hole-2.0.29.diff
    >
    > > Shouldn't be terribly difficult to move to 2.2/2.3.
    >
    > Any idea why this patch wasn't included in the main kernel?
    > It sounds like it'd be a very useful feature.
    >
    > Certainly, on my motherboard, if I enable the BIOS setting for
    > "Enable 16M ISA DMA", a RAM hole appears between 14-16M, but at
    > the same time, RAMtop moves upwards by 2M to compensate, so if
    > such a patch was included, this system would work either way.
    >
    > Best wishes from Riley.

    > | There is something frustrating about the quality and speed of Linux |
    > | development, ie., the quality is too high and the speed is too high, |
    > | in other words, I can implement this XXXX feature, but I bet someone |
    > | else has already done so and is just about to release their patch. |
    > * ftp://ftp.MemAlpha.cx/pub/rhw/Linux
    > * http://www.MemAlpha.cx/kernel.versions.html

    ---
    Adam Fritzler
    { mid@auk.cx, afritz@iname.com}
    http://www.auk.cx/~mid/
    "Behold the power of cheese." -- National Dairy Council

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.140 / U:1.268 seconds]