SubjectRe: holes for ISA boards...
Hi Adam.

>>> Christer Weinigel made a patch for 2.0.29 so long ago that
>>> let Linux use all your RAM and still have the hole.

>>> It may still be available at:

>>> ftp://rvs.ctrl-c.liu.se/pub/wingel/memory-hole-2.0.29.diff

It's moved slightly...

Q> ftp://rvs.ctrl-c.liu.se/pub/wingel/linux/memory-hole-2.0.29.diff

>>> Shouldn't be terribly difficult to move to 2.2/2.3.

>> Any idea why this patch wasn't included in the main kernel?
>> It sounds like it'd be a very useful feature.

>> Certainly, on my motherboard, if I enable the BIOS setting for
>> "Enable 16M ISA DMA", a RAM hole appears between 14-16M, but at
>> the same time, RAMtop moves upwards by 2M to compensate, so if
>> such a patch was included, this system would work either way.

> AFAIK, it was never submitted for inclusion. It was pointed out
> to me when I asked about it just over a year ago. If Stephen
> Early's patch works, it sounds like a more generalized way to do
> it. It's also already included in the ACPI patchset.

I've just had a look at porting it, and I note the following:

1. The patch to mm/vmalloc.c patches the function vremap which
appears not to exist in 2.2.9 ???

2. The patch to the configuration help file doesn't apply very
well, as it quotes configuration options that no longer exist.

I'll see what I can do with it though...

Best wishes from Riley.