SubjectRe: NFS hangs under 2.2.6
From

> I agree. I also think that it is undesirable to have to run
> portmapper on a client system. I am quite careful (for security
> reasons) not to run chunks of code that act as network servers
> (like the portmapper). Anyway, it seems that if you are
> prepared to wait out the timeout, then NFS works anyway.

> I'd certainly like to know if there was a mount option so that
> I could disable this behaviour.

I must admit, I haven't yet found out why the sunrpc layer insists on
using the portmapper. In principle it should be unnecessary if the
correct port is passed down from 'mount' to the NFS layer: if the port
definition makes it through 'xprt_create_proto' to
'rpc_create_client', portmapper use is disabled for the client.

You definitely will not be able to using locking without the
portmapper, so you should always mount with 'nolock' if you want to
experiment. The locking code always expects to find the 'rpc.statd'
daemon using the portmapper.

Cheers,
Trond

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:3.387 / U:0.016 seconds]