    SubjectRe: NFS hangs under 2.2.6
    On Sat, May 22, 1999 at 05:09:13PM +0200, Trond Myklebust wrote:
    > I must admit, I haven't yet found out why the sunrpc layer insists on
    > using the portmapper. In principle it should be unnecessary if the
    > correct port is passed down from 'mount' to the NFS layer: if the port
    > definition makes it through 'xprt_create_proto' to
    > 'rpc_create_client', portmapper use is disabled for the client.

    The whole business of RPC upcalls to statd is a mess. It needs to
    be redone in a way that allows use of file locking without having
    to start portmap and statd first.

    There's also some logic in the RPC layer that allows the client
    to `rebind' i.e. contact the server portmapper to get the current
    port number. That is used by the file locking code when it finds
    it's persistently stuck retransmitting packets.

    Olaf Kirch | --- o --- Nous sommes du soleil we love when we play | / | \ sol.dhoop.naytheet.ah +-------------------- Why Not?! -----------------------
    UNIX, n.: Spanish manufacturer of fire extinguishers.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.020 / U:99.460 seconds]