SubjectExt3 Filesystem
My thoughts on ext3:

When looking into ext3, I thought it would be a completely different file
system apart from ext2. However, I was surprised to see that most of
the filesystem is the same except for using that journal.dat file. So I was
wondering, couldn't this journaling filesystem really just be a flag added
to one of the reserve bits in the ext2 header that labels it as such?

Also, I've read recently about the problems with root seeing journal.dat,
being able to modify it, etc. I perfectly agree with making this file a hidden
inode, but I agree to the point where it does not show up in any directory,
and is instead a fixed inode number that is 1) a statically set # either on
creation of the filesystem, or 2) an inode number physically stored into the
superblock when a ext2 filesystem is converted to journaling. I know there are
some people who like to 'architect' their filesystem to the point of
perfection, and most would not appreciate seeing a fixed 4MB file in the /
directory containing information about their filesystem, especially when it
looks like something Microsoft has for swap space on Windows. In other words,
I feel the file shouldn't actually be part of the directory hierarchy, but
stored within an normally-unaccessible portion of the ext2 partition.

From my point of view, I don't see it anything more than being an extension of
ext2, and I figure once the design is finalized there would be options to some
e2fs-tools programs to add journaling support to an already-existing ext2
filesystem, etc.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

---
Byron Stanoszek <byron@math.uakron.edu>
System Administrator - University of Akron Applied Mathematics Dept.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.064 / U:2.364 seconds]