SubjectRe: Ext3 Filesystem
On Mon, Dec 06, 1999 at 09:24:40AM -0500, Byron R. Stanoszek wrote:
> My thoughts on ext3:
>
> When looking into ext3, I thought it would be a completely different file
> system apart from ext2. However, I was surprised to see that most of
> the filesystem is the same except for using that journal.dat file. So I was
> wondering, couldn't this journaling filesystem really just be a flag added
> to one of the reserve bits in the ext2 header that labels it as such?

Sure yes, it *may* become folded back into EXT2, but while
the development is under way, it is better to be called
something different so that you may choose which partitions
you want to endanger with unknown behaviour of the code..
(Be the name 'ext3', or 'ext2j', or whatever..)

> Anyone else have any thoughts?
> ---
> Byron Stanoszek <byron@math.uakron.edu>
> System Administrator - University of Akron Applied Mathematics Dept.

/Matti Aarnio <matti.aarnio@sonera.fi>

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.076 / U:0.448 seconds]