    SubjectRe: [linux-usb] Re: [patch] drivers/usb/usb.c: auto loading of USB bus driver
    On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Thomas Sailer wrote:

    > I did just do that (about 3 hours ago). usb-uhci did not go away. USB
    > still works. Note I did not specify -k on the modprobe command line.

    I think Alan's point is that you are then stuck with the usb stuff loaded
    even if nothing's using it. Usb is kind of a special case though, I
    guess.

    I can now see the problem with post-install rules, but I still find magic
    module aliases icky. One thing that crossed my mind was to make rmmod -a
    a bit smarter: if it notices that a module that sits above another (i.e.
    specified with the 'above' keyword in modules.conf) disappears, it could
    try to remove the lower module.

    But then that requires that everyone move to a version of modutils that
    (a) supports the 'above' keyword and (b) is smart about removing modules
    like that.

    *sigh* I'm wondering what scheme parport should use -- it _was_ using
    parport_lowlevel, but that didn't seem to fit in any more once we added
    the register_driver port notification callbacks. (It still actually will
    work, it will just warn loudly.)

    Tim.
    */

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.018 / U:1.352 seconds]