SubjectRe: That whole Netscape problem...(worse as approaches 2.2.0 release)
"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:
> "A month of sundays ago doctor@fruitbat.org wrote:"
> > I find it interesting that many people have this problem with Netscape.
> > I've been running 4.51 for around 4 months (under 2.0.x) and never had it
> > hang or die. With previous releases of Netscape there was some

[.....snip.....]

> kernel 2.0.25-36, libc 5.4.38-46, ld.so 1.9.5. Watch out for ld.so
> with higher numbers, which I have found to do bad things to some
> convoluted things like java workshop.

From your msg here I see that you're running an older kernel, which puts your
machine into a different category. My original problem that I was having was
that as we've moved closer to 2.2.0 release, Netscape seems to have become
more and more unstable. This morning I installed 2.2.0pre8 and tried that
out; couldn't even keep Netscape open for more than a few minutes before it
just hung and I had to kill the process. So, for fun I backdated myself to a
2.1.132 kernel; haven't had to kill Netscape at all since then (which is a far
cry from about every 10 or 15 minutes).

It seems that some patch that got put into the kernel recently has at least
uncovered another bug in Netscape, and it's one that makes it almost
unusable. Unfortunately, being that it's something that's in fairly
widespread use, I think it's worth someone investigating further to try to
find out which patch (or combination of patches) it was that caused Netscape
to go into its serious downward spiral. I'd volunteer myself but just don't
have the time to do it. I'm not sure what other's opinions are on this one,
but being that there are so many people that use Netscape on Linux, I'd think
it in all of our collective interests to try to find this one and at least
have a good explanation for what's going wrong before we go to 2.2.0 release
(sorry Linus); otherwise I expect that we'll be bombarded with people saying
that we've killed it and I don't think that the bad PR would help the cause
any.

Anyone out there got a variety of 2.2.0pre'x' kernels installed that they
could test this out on to at least see when it was that we identified the
bug/race condition in Netscape?

--
Graham TerMarsch

// Expect the worst, it's the least you can do.