SubjectRe: That whole Netscape problem...
Date
Ed Cogburn said ...
> doctor@fruitbat.org wrote:
> > Ely Wilson said ...
> > > Netscape 4.x has been 'spontaneously shutting down' since as far as I can recall, on
> > > both Debian and RedHat, under 2.0 and 2.1 kernels. This is nothing kernel related,
> > > maybe indirectly if at all. This is a problem that should be taken up with Netscape
> > > (or whoever it is that manages the browser source code) since this has been a long
> > > standing problem among a great many users of all kernel versions.
> > >
> > > Maybe it uses a bad memory management scheme under Linux/Unix and it surfaces itself
> > > under Linux/X Windows. This is a posibility, but I wouldn't stick my neck out so
> > > far (on he lkml) and say it's kernel related, because tehre are MANY X apps that
> > > don't spontaneously close themselves. If it were a less centralized problem...
> > > well..
> > I find it interesting that many people have this problem with Netscape.
> > I've been running 4.51 for around 4 months (under 2.0.x) and never had it
> > hang or die. With previous releases of Netscape there was some
> First, where did you get the 4.51 version? I couldn't find it on
> ftp.netscape.com for linux. 4.5 is the only binary available for
> linux boxes.

My mistake. It's 4.5, not 4.51 (sorry for the misinformation).

> Second, how do you use NS? 80% browsing, or 80%
> email/newsgroups? Do you use multiple browser windows, or just
> one? From other discussions on other mailing lists, its *how* you
> use NS that has a lot to do with its stability.

Lets see... I typically have two or three windows open, one or two for
browsing, one for news (though lately I've been going back to using Tin).
I don't read my mail through netscape. I use elm. I'm not impressed
with any of the graphic mail readers available, let alone Netscape mail
reader. The same argument applies to news readers, so I guess recently
it's only been browsing. But in the past it's been all three. As for
the types of pages, I visit, they vary from straight HTML (text only) to
sites heavy on the java. It's a pretty good mix. My disk and memory
caches are 5Mb each, and I know I exceed that limit at least once a day.

--
Peter A. Castro (doctor@fruitbat.org) or (pcastro@us.oracle.com)