    SubjectRe: draft for review - press release
    On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Riley Williams wrote:

    > B) My experience has been that a minimum of 6M of RAM is needed to
    > install Linux, although it'll quite happily run in 4M afterwards.

    I've seen reports on linux-embedded that it's still possible to boot with
    2M. "Installation" is a function of the distribution.

    > > A complete GNU/Linux system, complete with kernel sources, X
    > > windows and various applications requires approximately 80MBytes of
    > > hard disk space.
    > D) Where does that 80M of disk space come from? Since the unpacked
    > 2.2.0-preX kernel sources all take up around 50M on their own,
    > that figure looks rather low...

    It's not really a useful number. For instance, it ignores the fact that
    you can boot off a floppy and still have a useful piece of software, like
    linux-router or tomsrtbt. Most people don't need the kernel sources. Etc.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.021 / U:1.168 seconds]