SubjectRe: OFFTOPIC: e2fsprogs and +2Gb partitions
Date
In article <Pine.LNX.3.95.980613224355.1314A-100000@chaos.analogic.com>,
Richard B. Johnson <root@chaos.analogic.com> wrote:
>I can shut up no longer. I __HAD__ all the sources for all the programs
>I installed glibc and now I have nothing. No sources except the kernel
>will compile.

Nothing a good edit sessions can't cure. I ported Debian 1.1 to glibc 0.90
for the Alpha (also 32/64 bit issues to solve) in a week or so. And that
was 1 or 2 years ago.

All of the stuff I maintain for Debian compiles out of the box
with glibc.

>I obtained a 'standard' distribution from a CDROM and installed it on
>another system. Sources provided on that CDROM will not compile with the
>tools provided with that distribution. This is because that distribution
>had glibc.

Well that's strange. It doens't happen to be Slackware right ..

>It will probably be years before there are any Linux distributions that
>will compile the sources for the binaries provided by these distributions.

Debian can compile itself. I'm sure about this because almost all packages
that get submitted for i386 in the tree get autocompiled by bots for the
other architectures. The sources are not only glibc clean but also
multi-architecture clean.

I cannot imagine that RedHat can't compile it's own sources.

>This is not how migration should have occurred. New tools should have
>at least emulated the capabilities of the older tools. This was not
>done. The result is a lot of angry developers.

I don't understand why everybody is whining so much. I had a few difficulties
compiling packages I wrote and/or maintain, but I worked around it and
in some cases I contacted the glibc team and the library was fixed.

>I am surprised that Alan is just discovering how awful the situation is.
>POSIX compliance is only ONE of the objectives of a 'C' runtime library.
>There are many others, primarily usefulness.

Glibc has been under development for 1 or 2 years now. I'm surprised
people are now bitching about this. Instead they could have been on the
glibc mailing list providing constructive critisism, feedback and perhaps
some code.

Mike.
--
Miquel van Smoorenburg | Our vision is to speed up time,
miquels@cistron.nl | eventually eliminating it.