SubjectRe: Lost keypresses [was Re: GGI and cli/sti in X]
On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, Harald Koenig wrote:
> On Mar 29, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > Also, until X use medium raw mode & kernel is modified, shift state
> > will be lost accross console switches. I'm thinking of forcing X into
> > medium raw, but it is hard...
> >
> > Q: Do you think we can force X not to use full raw mode?
>
> IIRC, one argument against that was not to trap Alt-Fn in X so that
> X applications can use those key sequences.

So in VC_MEDIUMRAW Alt_Fn will cause a VC switch under X? Hmmm...

One other problem I encountered yesterday...

XF68_FBDev asks the kernel for the keyboard mapping. This worked fine on
Amiga/Atari/Apollo/Mac, and even on the PPC with ADB keyboard. All the keyboard
drivers on those machines generate single scancodes, so scancodes are actually
the same as keycodes.

However, now I switched to a PS/2 keyboard on my CHRP box (which has both ADB
and PS/2 keyboard connectors), and now X has problems with the scancode
prefixes. It just ignores the 0xe0 (unknown key) and interpretes the next
scancode. For e.g. cursor up, this means I get a KP_2, since the scancodes for
cursor up are 0xe0 followed by the scancode for KP_2.

So my questions are:

1. Will it work if I change the keyboard mode from VC_RAW to VC_MEDIUMRAW?
AFAIK the only difference is that VC_MEDIUMRAW sends single keycodes,
while VC_RAW sends scancodes, which may be prefixed. I haven't tried it
yet, though.

2. Is there a good reason for keeping the scancode system? Life would be
much easier if each key would generate a unique single keycode.
(preferably even 16 bit, since 8 bit (7 bit plus up/down bit) is too
limited for some keyboards)

Greetings,

Geert

--