SubjectRe: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux

Hello !
I am one of those many who supports the idea of new graphics
interface which also means graphics device drivers in kernel.

There are few things that arouse in to my mind when reading Linus
comments on ggi.

First is that if we follow standards there wont even possible use X
with Linux, because the way X servers interact with kernel graphics
hardware is not based on any standard.

So if X servers use no standardized ways to access hardware, I think that
if we make graphics drivers in the kernel it the would actually create
somekind standard for graphics.

There is also one situation that is not discussed a lot, which is
that almost all people hate X windows, it does not offer what they
really want.

So if you want make Linux popular among other people than Unix hackers
you will need something else than X.

Things what people want (this may be really difficult for some to believe)
- graphics interface which is so low level that it gives the programmer
complete freedom (for example implement even X above it)
- is simple to learn
- is stable
- takes little memory.
- offers complete control for graphics hardware.
- Is fast

These above are all opposite on what X offers.

Okey X has XAA
What is XAA , It is not X windows , It is Graphics Device Driver.

So one has to start X to use Graphics Device Driver.

Doesn't that sound a good idea ?

Jarri

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.083 / U:0.284 seconds]