SubjectVIOLENT 2.1.129 serial bug on Alpha.

Violent as in when it hits, it takes out everything down to Init,
and the only way out is to hit the reset button.

Steps that I think it followed:

1.) Compile serial as a module, let kmod handle it.
2.) Disconnect everything from ttyS0.
3.) Run getty on /dev/ttyS0 (in /etc/inittab)
4.) Open /dev/ttyS0 with something, say minicom.
5.) Try to remove unused modules (e.g., rmmod -a)
6.) Try to start / stop any program.
7.) Crash. HARD!

On my machine, 'rmmod -a; rmmod -a' is run automatically every 5
minutes by cron. I have a dumb terminal (vt240) for the serial port, but
it's currently disconnected. There is a UPS tied to ttyS1.

Serial was loaded automatically at boot because of mingetty (or
was that just getty? The machine's downstairs; I can't verify right now).
I started minicom on the wrong port the first time, accidentally. I
exited mincom. Everything looked ok. The module attempted to unload, and
spit out a warning because it failed to unregister stuff. I tried to log
in on another VC. I got several kernel Oopses after hitting 'enter' and
couldn't even switch VCs anymore. The last Oops listed was with 'init'.

I'll try to get a trace tomorrow, unless someone beats me to it.

Machine is a Microway Screamer SX:
DEC Alpha 21164PC, 533MHz
64MB RAM
4GB HD, IDE

Any / all other details available upon request. I'll see about
doing a trace tomorrow.

Thanks! Good Luck! Happy Hunting!
Happy Thanksgiving! :-)
- Bob

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.039 / U:1.416 seconds]