    SubjectRe: [OFFTOPIC] Re: elevator algorithm bug in ll_rw_blk.c
    Tim Smith wrote on 18 Nov 98, 0:46 :
    > > 2. European definition: An elevator is a set of stairs that move
    > > up or down (as set) continuously, with passengers stepping on
    > > at one end and off at the other without having to move in
    > > between. They are usually installed in pairs, one going each
    > > way. I don't know what this is called in the USA.
    > An escalator. If you manage to get caught on one of the steps when it
    > tries to go under the thingy at the top or bottom, this is called
    > "ingestion". I find it kind of frightening that there have apparently
    > been enough accidents to require escalator people to have a special name
    > for people getting sucked into the things!

    A term which the folks in the Washington DC Metro system (regional trains /
    subway) have had ample cause to us - their escaltors are more famous as people-
    eaters than as people-movers!

    Alex P. Madarasz, Jr. --

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.019 / U:35.332 seconds]