    SubjectRe: APC, Your company is making a mistake!
    On Sun, 11 Oct 1998, Mike A. Harris wrote:

    > On Sun, 11 Oct 1998, Brian Schau wrote:
    >
    > >Don't give up on Apc-upses ... See:
    > >
    > >http://www.dyer.vanderbilt.edu/server/apcupsd
    >
    > You aren't following the issue. The apcupsd package is the
    > package that I'm discussing in the first place. It is GPL'd and
    > is binary only. Not to worry, things are in the works to get
    > this issue fixed.

    I must answer this one.
    The latest apcupsd is _not_ GPL'd any more. Or ... may be it claim to be
    GPL'd but sources are _not_ available any more.
    I was working on an extension of this package (for remote control of
    UPSes, I called it powerflute and was meant to be included with the
    sources of the package) when sources was sequestred by vanderbilt univ.
    It was _not_at_all_ a GoodThing(tm): I was surprised of being informed
    that sources was not available any more (the powerflute and networking
    idea is not died of course). It is months that the official mantainer of
    that package claims he is managing to get the sources free again, but I
    have not seen any improvement of the situation. Now I personally do _not_
    consider apcupsd as free software any more.

    And yes ... I worry about this issue: I worry a lot because I was working
    on it when someone decided that sources was no more available !!!

    So, when you are in a shop and you must decide what UPS you are going to
    buy ... if I were you I do _not_ buy APC, at all, because there is no
    support by the community nor by APC.

    I actually own an APC ups but I bought it was before apcupsd sources was
    put in jail.

    Since this e-mail is CC'ed to apcinfo, I have something to say to APC.
    I strongly suggest you to support officially Linux since I feel there is
    a _lot_ of people that think APC products are very good (and I am one of
    them, I have bought one). Learn by others errors: BusLogic is supporting
    Linux since the epoch and Adaptec published their specs only few months
    ago. Who do you think have made more sales to Linux people ?
    If you could just release a powerchute for Linux: we will be happy for the
    support and you will be happy for the sales.

    Ciao,
    Riccardo.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.023 / U:120.972 seconds]