    SubjectRe: APC, Your company is making a mistake!
    On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Riccardo Facchetti wrote:

    >> You aren't following the issue. The apcupsd package is the
    >> package that I'm discussing in the first place. It is GPL'd and
    >> is binary only. Not to worry, things are in the works to get
    >> this issue fixed.
    >>

    >I must answer this one.
    >The latest apcupsd is _not_ GPL'd any more. Or ... may be it claim to be
    >GPL'd but sources are _not_ available any more.

    The latest apcupsd *IS* GPL'd. The package's copyright SAYS
    "GPL". The package is derived from GPL source code, and as a
    derivative work it *IS* and *ALWAYS* will be GPL. The current
    "maintainer" cannot release it in any other method *LEGALLY*.

    >I was working on an extension of this package (for remote control of
    >UPSes, I called it powerflute and was meant to be included with the
    >sources of the package) when sources was sequestred by vanderbilt univ.

    Yes, and if your program contained any GPL code, it too would
    *HAVE* to be GPL'd.

    >It was _not_at_all_ a GoodThing(tm): I was surprised of being informed
    >that sources was not available any more (the powerflute and networking
    >idea is not died of course). It is months that the official mantainer of
    >that package claims he is managing to get the sources free again, but I
    >have not seen any improvement of the situation. Now I personally do _not_
    >consider apcupsd as free software any more.

    No, it is in violation of GPL license. The author certainly
    seems to be trying to get sources out, and I trust him so far.

    >And yes ... I worry about this issue: I worry a lot because I was working
    >on it when someone decided that sources was no more available !!!
    >
    >So, when you are in a shop and you must decide what UPS you are going to
    >buy ... if I were you I do _not_ buy APC, at all, because there is no
    >support by the community nor by APC.

    I agree 100%.

    >I actually own an APC ups but I bought it was before apcupsd sources was
    >put in jail.

    I got one for free.

    >Since this e-mail is CC'ed to apcinfo, I have something to say to APC.
    >I strongly suggest you to support officially Linux since I feel there is
    >a _lot_ of people that think APC products are very good (and I am one of
    >them, I have bought one). Learn by others errors: BusLogic is supporting
    >Linux since the epoch and Adaptec published their specs only few months
    >ago. Who do you think have made more sales to Linux people ?
    >If you could just release a powerchute for Linux: we will be happy for the
    >support and you will be happy for the sales.

    Well, they won't be getting any sales from me, at least until I
    feel they truly are an "open" company. That doesn't appear
    likely to be changing any time _soon_ according to the mail that
    I just received from them.

    --
    Mike A. Harris - Computer Consultant - Linux advocate

    Linux software galore: http://freshmeat.net