    SubjectRe: 2G file size limitation question
       Date: 	Fri, 9 Jan 1998 18:03:28 +0000 (/etc/localtime)
    From: Matti Aarnio <matti.aarnio@tele.fi>

    And yet, the code check that it can't write beyond 2^32 bits,
    because then it can't write the size into the i-node.
    Also the i-node kept in RAM holds i_size as __u32, and
    many things trust that, and some write there SIGNED 32-bit
    values -- I think the ftruncate() is one. (Sigh..)

    The i_size field in the inode is the least of our worries. If we need
    to expand that, we simply put the high 32 bits of size elsewhere --- and
    there are places where we can put it. (This is one of the reasons why
    I've been so anal about pushing back projects that wanted to use lots of
    fields in the ext2 inode, such as the e2compr folks --- where I've since
    suggested a much more efficient way of doing what they want that doesn't
    chew up any additional inode fields.)

    In every case, I think we have only so much things that we
    can do with current EXT2 structure, before we must go to EXT3,
    and frankly the 64-bit issue feels more and more of such.

    Nah; if the VFS layer can handle 64-bits, we can make the ext2 structure
    handle 64-bits.

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.017 / U:61.440 seconds]