    SubjectRe: NMI errors in 2.0.30??
    On Sat, 26 Apr 1997, Stephen Costaras <>  wrote:
    > Rebooted system, turned Parity mode (non ECC) on in BIOS, still under v2.0.29
    > ran above tests, no problems.
    > Booted (ECC) w/ 2.0.30 went through the same procedure, received NMI on boot
    > (I have all my disks to auto fsck when mount-count is 1) when fscking the
    > volume. Dropped down to maintence mode. remounted root as r/w. fscked
    > RAID_0 volume, received several ext2 errors and fsck process died w/ Sig 11.
    > Rebooted system again, same configuration after removing all disks from fstab
    > except root. Ran Same routine as above, system died w/ 2 SIG11 errors (NMI)
    > out of 5 iterations.
    > Rebooted system (2.0.30) w/ Parity mode enabled in BIOS. No problems with
    > five iterations.
    > Now I'm a complete layman when dealing with kernel/hardware interactions, but
    > this 'looks' like the kernel can't understand the ECC mode in the Tyan BIOS.
    > ???? Can anyone help shed some more light here? Any suggestions on a more
    > quantative test?
    This could still be a marginal RAM speed issue in the following way: The data
    from the memory exclusive of the ECC check is available just in time for the
    CPU to read, with less than a nanosecond to spare. The ECC logic needs that
    same data, and then takes a couple of ns to calculate the checksum. By that
    time it is too late and the NMI occurs.

    Regrettably, I don't know how to verify this theory without professional
    measurement equipment. But if this is the case, giving the memory a bit more
    time by tuning the BIOS timing parameters should work.

    Good luck. Willem Riede.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.019 / U:7.872 seconds]