    SubjectNMI errors in 2.0.30??
    I got this today on a relatively new system running 2.0.30.

    Uhhuh. NMI received. Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
    You probably have a hardware problem with your RAM chips or a
    power saving mode enabled.

    I really don't believe the message, as this is a Tomcat IIID (running with
    2 CPU's but not an SMP kernel), 4 8x36-60 simms, and the setup passed
    several hours of memtest86 before going online. The CMOS setup is
    configured to do ECC and report single bit errors...could this cause
    problems for linux? I always disable all the power saving stuff...so I'd
    say there's at least a 99% chance it's turned off. Is it possible some
    other random kernel bug is at fault?

    The system this one replaced used to get occasional page table or swap
    corruption, and people suggested it could be bad RAM. It's been running
    memtest86 for over a week and done 143 passes with 0 errors.

    Other hardware in the new box is BT-948, SMC Ultra 8216, Trident 8900 VGA,
    3 SCSI disks, 0 IDE.

    Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net> | Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
    Network Administrator | be proof-read for $199/hr.
    ________Finger jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net for PGP public key_______

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:2.783 / U:0.116 seconds]