SubjectRe: Volume management on Linux with the ext2fs.
On 22 Apr 1997, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> I have been considering adding to Linux volume management
> capabilities, in the spirit of the IRIX volume management, where it is
> possible for a file system to span multiple devices.
>
> Comments on this? Is this proposal completely foolish?

I for one would love to see this. Our HP 9000/800 mini is running HP-UX,
which has a volume manager similar to IRIX's (that's about it's only
redeeming quality) and it definitely has been fantastic to be able to have
file systems spanning disks. It is certainly easier when you need to add
space than having to move lots of files or making lots of links.

I don't know very much about the ext2fs file system (not by choice
however), but it sounds like a winning proposal.

-- Douglas

Douglas K. Fischer Skeet@Bridgewater.EDU (540) 828 - 5343
Programmer/Network Analyst C. E. Shull Computing Center
College Box 36 Bridgewater College Bridgewater, VA 22812

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.097 / U:0.432 seconds]