SubjectRe: Volume management on Linux with the ext2fs.
On Apr 23, wrote
> I've started a project to do something along these lines already.
> It's called the Enhanced File System project, see
> for more information. You may
> wish to join with us to work on such things. You'll note that I
> have CC'ed this message to the Enhanced File system mailing list.

You're not going to get anywhere until you limit yourself to a
subset of "all operating systems". Unfortunately, file system
semantics do vary from operating system to operating system.

My preference would be for a clean linux-only design. I'd expect
even this design to have a number of incompatible physical representations
to occur during development.