    SubjectRe: SVGA kernel chipset drivers.
    > On Sun, 2 Jun 1996, Marcus Meissner wrote:

    > > > Maybe this is silly and there exist services that do exactly this, in
    > > > userspace, in a safe way, and as fast as a kernel trap. Sorry if so,
    > > > but i think many people dont see the way out [the GGI people for
    > > > example].
    > >
    > > You can just use another selector/segment instead of the default
    > > datasegment just as WINE does? Ok, will only work on i386 and friends.
    > > ... (See modify_ldt system call.)
    >
    > Which is no good. Linux should be as cross-platform as possible,
    > right? Then we need a uniform graphics API.

    Are you really that dense?

    We HAVE a uniform graphics API already. It's called X.

    When you argue for kernel support for graphics, you argue _against_ the already
    existing, standard UNIX graphics API that does a hell of a lot more than some
    stupid frame buffer.

    THAT is why this discussion is so totally useless. You're just asking for the
    kernel to support something that is _less_ capable than we already have. Do you
    think I'm so stupid that I'd go for something as braindead as that?

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.017 / U:29.872 seconds]