    SubjectRe: SVGA kernel chipset drivers.
    On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, Marcus Meissner wrote:

    > NOTE: I have not written the mail Linus replied to, "John M. Taylor" did.

    > > > Which is no good. Linux should be as cross-platform as possible,
    > > > right? Then we need a uniform graphics API.
    >
    > > Are you really that dense?
    > > We HAVE a uniform graphics API already. It's called X.
    > > When you argue for kernel support for graphics, you argue _against_ the already
    > > existing, standard UNIX graphics API that does a hell of a lot more than some
    > > stupid frame buffer.
    > > THAT is why this discussion is so totally useless. You're just asking for the
    > > kernel to support something that is _less_ capable than we already have. Do you
    > > think I'm so stupid that I'd go for something as braindead as that?
    >
    > I agree with Linus, but mostly due to the fact, that X is a protocol which
    > supports REMOTE graphics as well as local. Restricting oneselves to
    > local, linux-only things as SVGAlib or CGI in fact INCREASES portability/
    > compatibilty problems.

    Remember, in no way would the GGI somehow make using X at all
    impossible. You'd need to write a GGI-using X server, but with all the
    free XFree86 project code out there....

    Jon Taylor = <taylorj@gaia.ecs.csus.edu> | <http://gaia.ecs.csus.edu/~taylorj>
    Moderation is for monks." - Lazarus Long

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:4.060 / U:0.008 seconds]