    SubjectRe: SVGA kernel chipset drivers.

    NOTE: I have not written the mail Linus replied to, "John M. Taylor" did.

    > > On Sun, 2 Jun 1996, Marcus Meissner wrote:
    > > > datasegment just as WINE does? Ok, will only work on i386 and friends.
    > > > ... (See modify_ldt system call.)
    > >
    > > Which is no good. Linux should be as cross-platform as possible,
    > > right? Then we need a uniform graphics API.

    > Are you really that dense?
    > We HAVE a uniform graphics API already. It's called X.
    > When you argue for kernel support for graphics, you argue _against_ the already
    > existing, standard UNIX graphics API that does a hell of a lot more than some
    > stupid frame buffer.
    > THAT is why this discussion is so totally useless. You're just asking for the
    > kernel to support something that is _less_ capable than we already have. Do you
    > think I'm so stupid that I'd go for something as braindead as that?

    I agree with Linus, but mostly due to the fact, that X is a protocol which
    supports REMOTE graphics as well as local. Restricting oneselves to
    local, linux-only things as SVGAlib or CGI in fact INCREASES portability/
    compatibilty problems.

    The programmers call it 'easier' but in fact it isn't, if they try to port it
    to other platforms/architectures/OSes they have to redesign everything.

    (This is not an argument against CGI, but more against lazy programmers ;)

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.020 / U:1.516 seconds]