SubjectRe^2: Amazing what a little RTFM can do :>

On Fri, 19 Apr 1996, Shinanyaku wrote:

> Bryn Paul Arnold Jones was heard saying ....
>
> > > I imagine the error is because there is a hdd, but no hdc. Either way,
> > > my CDs mount, so I aon't gonna worry about it.
> > >
> > This actually brakes the standard, but .... you really should rejumper
> > the drive as the master. Also, FYI rember that the master has to be the
> > first drive on the ribbon (closest to the "controler"), so if/when you
> > add annother disk, or if you move the CD, make sure that the master is the
> > first the computer sees when it looks down the wire.

NO - actually the opposite!

The master should be at the end of the cable, because the master does
electrical termination. The slave should be between the controller and
the master.

If you have only one drive attached, it should be configured as master,
otherwise the cable is not terminated. (and it can sit anywhere on the
cable).

> Uhh? You mean the drives settings (master/slave) is ALSO dependant on
> its RIBBON location??? I thought floppy drives were the only ones that
> actually did that (and for them because of the little twist in the
> cable that you can see). But you say that IDE is the same way?? Huh! I
> connected, disconnected, and moved more IDE devices than I can think
> of and have NEVER been aware of the cable-location thingy.

No the cable position does not have anything to do with selection of
devices.

> So have I just been LUCKY for the past 4 years and by chance gotten
> cable location correct? Hmm!
>
> > Bryn
> > --
>
> Shin!

/Kurt

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.065 / U:0.576 seconds]