    > Subject: Re: [LINUX-KERNEL] HDD Noise stopped with cat /dev/zero
    > Dunno - but I have an old machine where I can here noises from the ancient
    > drive (we are talking 8 year old 40Mb MFM here) when network traffic is going
    > through the machine - go figure. (And no, it isn't the drive doing things -
    > the disk select light (remember those?) isn't even on). If I have the sound
    > card plugged in I get to listen to the traffic quite loudly too :-(
    > I've also had at least two machines which made strange noises when the case
    > open and in quiet surroundings with no sound card or anything - again network
    > traffic was triggering the noises, though I have no idea why I could hear it.
    > I can remember one particularly strange incident where I could here noises
    > when I was running a CPU intensive job (raytracing) as opposed to the machine
    > being idle. I can only guess I am hearing subharmonics of the bus traffic but
    > I find that hard to believe.
    > Just one of those things I guess.

    It's not all that unbelievable. Several common electrical devices are
    microphonic. Traditionally, that means that vibration (sound, shock, etc.) can
    effect the electrical properties of the devices. IMHO, it also implies that
    changes in the voltages or currents within the device may have the reverse
    effect of causing vibration. Transformers display this property and they are
    present in every NIC and in most every sound card. Hard drives, well, those
    are blatantly microphonic. As a previous poster on this thread has already
    mentioned, hard drives can be effected by power supplies that are at the edge
    of their specs or are simply out of spec.

    Everything is possible, some things are just more likely than others.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.020 / U:18.804 seconds]