SubjectRe: [LINUX-KERNEL] HDD Noise stopped with cat /dev/zero
Date
David A Willmore was heard saying ....

> On Oct 17, 11:51pm, David Monro wrote:

> > I've also had at least two machines which made strange noises when the case
> was
> > open and in quiet surroundings with no sound card or anything - again network
> > traffic was triggering the noises, though I have no idea why I could hear it.
> > I can remember one particularly strange incident where I could here noises
> > when I was running a CPU intensive job (raytracing) as opposed to the machine
> > being idle. I can only guess I am hearing subharmonics of the bus traffic but
> > I find that hard to believe.
> >
> > Just one of those things I guess.

Yeppers. In a quiet setting, you could hear video i/o on an old 486/33
(diamond speedstar+ board). I also always figured I was hearing some
sort of subharmonics caused by excessive bus traffic.

Though I haven't heard a peep (whine?) from any machine since
then. Perhaps this is an effect of the ISA bus? (i've had nothing but
PCI since then).

Shin!