SubjectHans Reiser on ReiserFS deprecation
Greetings LKML.

What follows is a letter from Hans Reiser to myself, which he wrote some
two months back, and has asked me to publish, with his thoughts on the
deprecation of ReiserFS from the Linux kernel. I have transcribed it to
the best of my ability. Plaintext email may not be the best way to read
it, as such, I have also made available PDF and HTML versions of the letter.

These may be found at <https://ftp.mfek.org/Reiser/Letters>. My letter
to Hans is №1, Hans’ reply is №2.

---

§ 1
Cover letter
To:
Fredrick R, Brennan
597 North Raleigh Avenue
Atlantic City, New Jersey 08401-1081

Dear Mr. Frederick [sic] R. Brennan,

I thank you so much for writing me. I apologize for the delay, and for
it being so long.

The length is the reason for the delay in my response. I hope that OCR
technologies are effective at saving you from having to type this in.
Could you carefully proof the OCR results? I apologize for the burden it
will be. I hope you understand the length as my taking your request
seriously, and are pleased rather than dismayed. It was alot of work to
write it. If you sign up for text messaging at gettingout.com, you can
get faster responses from me. Sending a phone number will also work.

Please use your judgment in where to send this—any place that would be
interested is fine.

LKML and Slashdot.org seem like reasonable places to send it (as of
2006). Your advice is desired.

Please let me know if you or anyone else has questions. If after sending
this somewhere you still have time, could you send me info on Reiser5,
or any interesting papers on other Filesystems, compression (especially
Deep Learning based compression), etc.1

Gratefully,
Hans Reiser
11/26/23
From: Hans Reiser
(architect of ReiserFS V3 + Reiser4)

§ 2
Introduction
Iwas asked by a kind Fredrick Brennan for my comments that I might offer
on the discussion of removing ReiserFS V3 from the kernel. I don’t post
directly because I am in prison for killing my wife Nina in 2006.

I am very sorry for my crime–a proper apology would be off topic for
this forum, but available to any who ask.

A detailed apology for how I interacted with the Linux kernel community,
and some history of V3 and V4, are included, along with descriptions of
what the technical issues were. I have been attending prison workshops,
and working hard on improving my social skills to aid my becoming less
of a danger to society. The man I am now would do things very
differently from how I did things then.

Perhaps some might accept my apology; others might learn from my
mistakes if I describe them well; some might find the design issues
interesting.

I will leave it to the users to decide whether ReiserFS V3 is still
useful. Users should understand that it is a burden for those who
maintain VFS and the like to have to test their changes on an additional
filesystem, especially given Linux filesystems are hard code at the VFS
layer.

ReiserFS 4 provides a more maintainable basis for the future for those
users who like the features of V3. If V3 isn’t used it should go, I
trust the users and the kernel maintainers to discuss whether it is
used, and to make the right decision together.

§ 3
Main text
V3 had a moment in time when it was useful, and I am happy that we were
able to contribute to the success of GNU/Linux for a few crucial years
during which it was growing rapidly in usage. Chris[page 2 follows]
Mason’s contribution of journaling was the most practically useful
feature of V3, and I thank him for it.

I am sad that SUSE didn’t make it in the market place, I found it to be
a well-crafted distro, and it was a privilege to be able to contribute
to it. I am grateful for their sponsorship and support.

Reiser FS V3 was our first filesystem, and in doing it we made mistakes,
because we didn’t know what we were doing. I have to tell you that when
I did the first benchmarks the performance was terrible, and I didn’t
know why. By terrible I mean that no sane person would use it for
anything, there were years of dark depression before it was debugged
enough to run at all, and then, 5% here and 5% there, I dragged it into
being a little faster than the competition, and saving some space for
traditional filesystem sizes, and more space for small files. Changing
the allocation of blocks to files—simple code fortunately—yielded most
of the performance gains. In V3 performance tweaking, Ext2, the existing
GNU/Linux filesystem, was actually a very high performance
filesystem—probably the best in the world.1 The man I was then presented
papers with benchmarks showing that ReiserFS was faster than ext2. The
man I am now would start his papers [page 3 follows] crediting them for
being faster than the filesystems of other operating systems, and
thanking them for the years we used their filesystem to write ours. Not
doing that was my first serious social mistake in the Linux community,
and it was completely unnecessary.

Vladimir Saveliev, who had pity on me and came back after everyone else
had quit, was the man who made the code work well enough that anyone
would want to use it for more than a benchmark. After he came back, I
left the debugging to him. He is one of the most good, mild-mannered,
and hard working men that exists, anyone who has ever worked with him
will agree with that. He didn’t say much about it, but he believed in
the Free Software Movement. Through force of will, and hard work, he
made himself into a programmer of extraordinary skill, the effects of
which you can see manifested in our Reiser4 code. He went from being the
must junior of the programmers at the start of V3 to being the lead
programmer, earning it through hard work all the way,

Assuming that the decision is to remove V3 from the kernel, I have just
one request: that for one last release the README be edited to add
Mikhail Gilula, Konstantin Shvachko, and Anatoly Pinchuk to the credits,
and to delete anything in there I might have said about why they were
not credited. It is time to let go.[page 4 follows]

In prison I have been working quite hard on developing my social skills,
especially my conflict resolution and conflict avoidance skills. There
is a lot of conflict in prison, as you can imagine, and it is quite a
good place to learn those skills. Nothing like lots of practice, and the
groups they let us take if we want to have a quite well developed
curriculum, Repetition helps, at least for me. It has changed me.

I had a tendency to see people in extremes. That I am working on by
being mindful of it, and by being around people who it would be easy to
see in extremes, Many of them have become very good persons [sic] since
their crimes.

I look back, with the advantage of the passing of years helping to
improve my vision, and I see that while I intended to be helpful to
researchers in Russia living on less than a hundred dollars a month, I
could not be as helpful as a job working in America earning a Western
salary. I put everything I had into the project, working 40+ hours a
week at a day job, most employers not happy that I wanted to work only
40 hours if I could, and then I spent 15-20 hours a week arguing over
algorithms, architecture, code, etc., by email. I learned to cut out
everything in my life besides the[page 5 follows] project because
otherwise my dream just would not make it.

I had more dream than experience. With Mikhail there running things in
Russia it went pretty well because we had an ability to understand each
other, I believe Mikhail Gilvla was the brightest mind in his generation
of computer scientists, and his talent was wasted. First it was wasted
by Russia’s economy making his success impossible, and then in America
it was wasted by most of the database field not being able to understand
that he was right in wanting to rewrite the basics of their field in the
ways be wanted to because he was just so much brighter than they were. I
don’t think they could even understand why it mattered, what he wanted
to do.

We both believed that relational algebra was a special case of something
more general, something that was needed for “semi-structured data". He
called his approach “set-theoretic", and implemented it in the form of a
database. I had my own syntax that expanded the filesystem namespace,
instead. We came up with our ideas independently, before we met.[page 6
follows]

I had the idea that the place to implement it was in a filesystem, and
that the motivation for implementing it there was to evolve it into a
namespace that would allow unifying all of the namespaces of the
operating system into one namespace. I thought this would be the most
important refactoring of code ever, and would increase the expressive
power of everything in those namespaces. I drew analogies between the
effect of roads and waterways on the development of civilization
according to Adam Smith, and the effects of free trade on specialization
thus wealth according to Adam Smith again, and the effects of unifying
the namespaces on the expressive power of the operating system.

That was my dream.

I was not the only one with this dream. The term “namespace" is pretty
much only used by people who share in that dream enough to use a term
that implies an equivalency between databases, filesystems, DNS, etc.
Rob Pike and Plan 9 are examples of work to increase the Filesystem
namespace, My particular flavor of the dream was that I had a syntax
that could expand the filesystem hierarchical namespace to handle
“semi-structured data". That means queries that are constructed from
primitives that can be combined into the equivalent of searche engine
queries (unstructured associations), database queries (unordered ordered
pairs to search tables), or filesystems (fully[page 7 follows] ordered
names to search hierarchies), or things that are richer than any of
those special cases. Now that was my dream! Sigh, It probably won’t
surprise you that I was a teenager when I came up with this dream, and
its syntax for searching semi-structured data.

I apologize to the users that I never got to that dream because of my
crime and my going to prison, and they never got to see any semantic
enhancements to Reiser 4.

The most technically difficult task that was a prerequisite to someday
implementing my syntax, a task that had to be implemented first to do
things right, was to make the filesystem efficient for small files.

I was very sensitive from the start to the power of net work effects to
drown efforts to shift paradigms, to introduce better ways to do things.
Network effects were abstract, so I understood them better than the
importance of believing that I can make friends and allies of people who
start out hostile because I had not made them feel included.

Awareness of network effects was why I decided that the path to unifying
the namespaces of the operating system started with enhancing filesystem
semantics which started with creating a storage layer that could emulate
a filesystem faster than any existing filesystem but could also be[page
8 follows] effective for storing small objects like databases are. Yes,
it was arrogant to attempt that, but it seemed like it should be
possible to do it. I had no idea how long it would take to get it right.

Mikhail advised me to use balanced trees instead of extensible hashing
(what dcache uses). I would come to understand that locality of
reference is the sina qua non of performance, and that balanced trees
are the best of all tools for implementing clever ways of maximizing
locality of reference, Mikhail had tried extensible hashing, and learned
the hard way that trying to fix its problems leads to using balanced
trees. Locality of reference doesn’t just affect hard drive performance,
it affects compressed data performance (that means SPRAM performance),
and even affects CPU cache performance (and thus DRAM stored data
performance). He told me he was saving me 2 years by telling me to use
balanced trees, and that’s true, and I thank him for that,

I never told Mikhail that Oracle had tried implementing a filesystem
using balanced trees, and its performance was terrible leading to most
insiders in the industry concluding that balanced trees performed poorly
for filesystem File size patterns. I didn’t tell Mikhail; I didn’t tell
any of the programmers; I didn’t tell anyone involved in the project. I
couldn’t see why they should be slower so I disregarded it, Vladimir
would[page 9–1 follows] have good cause to be angry with me if he reads
this.

I think part of their performance problems were how they did their
journaling. I’ve observed that most balanced tree implementations are
too synchronous, and most filesystems aren’t very synchronous for
performance reasons. fsync() is like using a sledge hammer to turn a
screw with repeated sideways blows on the hoad of the screw. What is
needed to have high data integrity guarantees with no unnecessary
performance losses is a new API that allows intelligence in doing it by
allowing the different layers to share their greater intelligence with
the other layers. We need to allow the user to share their intelligence
with the application, the application to share its intelligence with the
filesystem, the filesystem and process scheduler to share their
intelligence with the I/O scheduler, the I/O scheduler to share its
intelligence with the I/O scheduler and other aspects of the hard drive,
and then share intelligence back up the other direction of that stack,
and then also tie in the memory manager in there too. 2 It requires not
just ordering of I/O’s, but specifying groupings of I/O’s that should
commit or not commit as a group, to communicate that intelligence, and
not be more synchronous than necessary. Other features relating to
priorities, fairness, guaranteeing I/O rates, etc, would also be
desirable. If more details are wanted by anyone, ask, please, This is an
area where Reiser 4 should do more[page 9-2 follows] than we had time to do.

I wish I had had the money to retain Joshua MacDonald when Orade hired
him away from me, and learn more from him about logical journaling ideas
he had then, I hope he is doing well—he was simply a brilliant young
man, I’ll just say that block aligning journaling isn’t necessarily
optimal for all needs that userspace has, and refer the reader to him
for more. What I didn’t know when we were arguing over the V3 design is
that the FFS bench marks are misleading, and fail to highlight something
that also hurts database performance, FFS is the BSD filesystem, and it
was regarded as the best of its day. It used 4k blocks except for the
tail end of files for which it used 1k blocks, and it would combine
those 1k blocks from different files into the same 4k, thereby allowing
them to increase block size but still conserve space.

Sounds clearly correct, yes? Alas, the performance cost of pulling the
tails of files out of line with the rest of the file to combine it with
the tails of other files is a seek plus a rotational delay (20 ms),
That’s hugely expensive compared to the tail size divided by the
transfer rate, Seeks dominate filesystem performance unless the layout
is perfect. You can see the importance of avoiding adding any seeks by
having the tail of a[page 10 follows] file located inline with the rest
of the file,

Databases with their "BLOBS", ReiserFS V3, and FFS all combine tails in
a way that adds seeks and hurts performance substantially. For Databases
and Reiserts V3 it’s even worse though, because BLOBS make it not really
a balanced tree, and the ability to effectively cache all the internal
nodes of the tree is lost. Google “Reiser 4 twigs”, and hopefully that
will find a longer discussion of that for interested readers, including
how to fix it,

That performance failing drove me crazy—I felt the design was just
wrong, and I resolved to redo everything from scratch with Reiser 4, The
plugins, and the modularity of the code they created, are the most
important feature of Reiser 4, It is far easier to add features to
Reiser 4 than to add them to other filesystems, because you just add new
plugins. The hard stuff is done, and new features are a downhill ride.
Well, except that I am in prison, and so I must leave all that to others.

There is a problem that filesystems have, and that is that format
changes are unwanted by many for good reasons, That is the primary
reason that filesystems stagnate, Well, that, and stagnating is
easy…[page 11 follows]

I just had to fix all these flaws, fix them and make a filesystem that
was done right. It’s hard to explain why I had to do it, but I just
couldn’t rest as long as the design was wrong and I knew it was wrong.

SUSE didn’t want a format change, they wanted incremental improvements
to V3. That’s the way it is for a lot of filesystem architects.
Incrementally changing things they know are deeply wrong to their cores,
but stuck in that misery of doing so. I said no to that, which I won’t
apologize for and don’t regret, because I have a soul, and I had a
dream. What I do apologize for is how utterly inarticulate and
unsociable I was in explaining that to SUSE. What I essentially said to
SUSE was that the code was unmaintainable terrible code that needed to
be rewritten from scratch, trust me, it needed to be done, we didn’t
know what we were doing then and now we have learned what we should have
known, but we will fix every bug in V3 that is found.

I could have said that I hear them, and I hear them well, so well that
Reiser 4 has node format plugins that solve the format change problem. I
could have told them of our plans for a repacker for Reiser 4, so that
partitions could be shrunk, and layout perfectly optimized, and …spent a
day visiting them and making Reiser 4 our dream not my dream. Instead
I[page 12 follows] communicated that I couldn’t pursue my dream without
a format change. Both SUSE and I wanted what was best for Linux and
SUSE, so the reason for my failure was that I had failed to socially
connect by reaching past the initial hostility to the format change to I
make my (and DARPA’s) dream into our3 dream. I would repeat this failure
style with the Linux kernel community when Reiser 4 was submitted for
inclusion, only worse.

Let me go back in time though to the early days of V3. Not long after
the computers were purchased, and then the project really got going,
Mikhail got a job in America, Mikhail was the reason I had hired this
group. Now I no longer had somebody running things on site that I was
intellectually compatible with, and frictions developed. I had not
chosen them, and they had not chosen me, nor had they chosen my dream or
the Free Software Movement. Alas, I was inexperienced, and they didn’t
respect. that, which is understandable, yes? I had a feel for
abstractions that was stronger than my feel for people, and a casual
delight for tossing socially established algorithms that made them even
less comfortable than my wearing a cowboy hat instead of a tie, None of
this was a problem with Mikhails but Mikhail had left.

It was to be expected that there would be problems, but I was too young
and hopeful to see that. There was a cost to going from system
administrator to architect without first spending a few years as a
coder.[page 13 follows]

An example of this was their use of BLOBS in V3. I didn’t know that
putting unformatted nodes on a level of the tree below the putative
leaves of the tree was the standard way of doing things in the database
world. When I saw it in the code I objected to it. I was asked to just
let them try it their way, and if it didn’t work it could be removed , I
was too inexperienced as a software project manager to know that that
was an argument to only entertain after the first version of a product
has shipped, because whatever gets written before product shipment is
not likely to get rewritten until after product shipment, especially if
you know the design is wrong. That’s especially true if you know the
design is wrong. What I didn’t know was just how wrong the design was,
The performance cost was higher than I feared it would be, I should also
say that the coding cost of doing it right was higher than I thought it
would be, To the young architects out there, let me say that if you know
something is wrong, don’t lot it happen just to be agreeable or to
accept the consensus, Yes, listen to all the arguments, but if you don’t
have a better feel for algorithms, you should not be in the job of
architect. Believe in yourself, I paid the price for not knowing when to
be firm, when the benchmarks came in, and then again when fixing it
required a format change that lost me SUSE. 4 [page 14 follows]

Then Mikhail’s employer hired the rest of them, and left me with a pile
of poorly commented code that was not able to run. It would have been
wiser for me to write it again from scratch, but that would have meant
admitting that all I had invested into the project was a total loss.5

Now, with the distance of time, I can see that their leaving was simply
the reasonable thing from their point of view, There were some
unkindnesses in how they left, but that’s to be expected, says the
distance of time, Then I felt so betrayed. Now I wish to let go of that.
They were just ordinary people caught in economic forces, and not
enjoying working for the guy with more dream than experience. They too
were inexperienced: none of us had worked on a filesystem before. We
were all young, and impatient. I never did get to where we made enough
money that I could pay people well, and I am truly sorry for that. If I
had not committed my crime, that day when Reiser 4 was a worthy use of
the extraordinary talent of the programmers working on it probably would
have come. I was callous and indifferent to their needs and dreams when
I committed my crime, and victimized them financially and ruined their
dreams that I had talked them into.

One of my great regrets is that I let go of Mikhail as a friend. I hope
be is alive, and doing well.[page 15 follows]

I read about a DARPA request for proposals for open source software on a
Friday on Slashdot, and it had a Monday submission deadline. I went into
a writing Frenzy, and proposed what became Reiser 4, DARPA was very good
to us, very and I learned a lot about accounting and security both from
them. I’d like to apologize to DARPA for two things:

All we were able to complete was the infrastructure that would enable
the security features I proposed, and that was despite my putting
several times the money they gave us into the project from every where I
could get it, including using 29% interest credit card cash advances to
make payroll near the end. 6 Now that Reiser 4 is stable, the plugin
infrastructure would make it so easy to add extra features, we could
probably have done the encryption plug in and stat data inheritance in
just 6 months.7
At the time I made the Reiser4 proposal it looked like democracy had won
in Russia, I believe we were a point of light in US–Russian relations,
The problem was that what was needed was a thousand points of light, and
we were one of a very few.[page 16 follows]
Russian Intelligence/Law Enforcement, after doing a very thorough job of
making sure we weren’t a CIA cover operation,8 was very nice to us, and
quite supportive of us and the Free Software Movement, It might not have
been a coincidence that we had no Mafia problems, The time that I got
scammed for $300, they got my money back in 45 minutes. I know that one
is not supposed to say good things about them, but my own personal
experience is that they were very effective, kind, and even wisely
guiding. In important ways,

Russian culture teaches a better understanding of people. As a for
instance, one of them told me that my wife was in a lot of pain. Now I
can see clearly that that was exactly correct, and perfectly illuminated
the path I should have taken. Alas, I lacked the wisdom to understand
the words with just one repetition.

*9

In prison I have learned that alienation, which I intend to use to
protect myself, is often a cage I bulld around myself instead. A fear of
being naïve can often be as dangerous in its reality distortions as
being naïve,[page 17 follows] Now is not the time to try to be a light
in US-Russian relations. I hope that there will again be such a time,
and an end to all the death and dying. I hope the time will come again
for reaching past the alienation, and finding friendship[page 18
follows] and love, between Russia and Ukraine and the U.S, and between
my children and I. Call me a fool, or simply someone who thinks the pain
is too much for us all, I leave that to you.

Back to Reiser4: We10 built a beautiful filesystem that embedied
everything we had figured out we should have done the first time, called
Reiser 4, and it smoked, What’s more, it had this plugin architecture
that I had proposed to DARPA in that writing frenzy, but that Nikita
Danilov had made even better than what I had proposed (he made the
balancing operations plugins too, and I am so glad that he was smarter
than me and showed that the performance costs were acceptable).

With most filesystems, adding a feature is 80% altering the existing
code and 20% writing the new feature, and then you will be likely adding
a Format change that someone not even working in the filesystem group
will say no to. With Reiser 4 we made every aspect of it that we could
imagine doing so for into a plugin. If you want to add a new feature,
you just spend your time writing the new plugins for it, and 90% of the
time that is all you will have to write, or failing that, it will be 80%
of what you will have to write, You get to spand your time on your
clever idea instead of on why it was so much harder than it should have
been to write it. I think you’ll find it is more than 3 times faster to
add it to Reiser 4 than to any[page 19 follows] other filesystem, with
all the features required of a filesystem for compatibility (an enormous
burden to write—if you have a clever filesystem idea save yourself that
burden and add a plugin to Reiser 4 instead—you can be one programmer
doing a 6 month plugin instead of having to fund a team for 5 years to
do a filesystem) completed, it was going to be all downhill from there.
We would have been theones implementing a substantive new feature per
programmer per 6 months, The code that Alexander Zarochentcev, Nikita
Danilov, and Vladimir Saveliev wrote (all three of them contributing
equally, working together like the three musketeers) was beautiful code,
and then the junior programmer Edward Shishkin came along as the fourth
musketeer and his compression plugin doubled performance again for
compressible files. I cannot remember ever finding anything I could
improve in Alexander Zarochentcev’s code: it was always perfectly
written: “read it and learn how things should be written” kind of code.

I am not known for being unable to find things to criticize, or praising
easily. Somehow with the smallest budget for paying them in the
filesystem world, I lucked onto the best programming team in the
filesystem world. The filesystem was worthy of their talents—I wish that
I as a person had been worthy of them.[page 20 follows]

The problem was that it didn’t use the code that had been written by
others in the kernel community, and people don’t really like their code
not being used. People want to feel included. I responded to their
social need by, well, screwing the pooch in response (benchmarks and
disputing their expertise). Imagine if I had responded by saying that I
needed their help in imagining new file plugins instead?

You know how people are much more likely to read an email if it is one
screen long, rather than the length of this :-/ ? It is similar with
contributing code to the kernel. It is much more social and relationship
developing to contribute a screenful or two of code once every week or
two over the course of years. We were dropping 90,000 lines of code on
them all at once, having worked on it in total social isolation for 5
years in Moscow, Socially it was all bad. Small increments are the more
social way to go. Incremental improvements to V3 would have met no
opposition. We could have lived a life of being a little bit better than
ext3, and been respected in the field as we waited for someone young to
obsolete us,

Alas,11 it had to be written from scratch to be written right, to be
written the best I knew how to to design it, to fix what the benchmarks
had 12 revealed to an empiricist. My leadership and project management
failures needed to be atoned for. The maintainability of a plugin based
filesystem was perhaps more important than the[page 21 follows]
benchmarks, I had added comments, and we had added bug Fixes, but I am
so glad I kept none of it for V4.

If I had had then the conflict resolution skills I have learned in
prison Cognitive Behavioral Intervention classes I might would have been
able to overcome all that.

Then, my attitude was, it’s the fastest filesystem in the world, why
aren’t you happy and helpful?! Look at these benchmarks! These plugins!
Why do I have to deal with these people who didn’t write as fast of a
filesystem ? Let them write theirs, and us write ours - VFS should allow
that ! My attitude should have been, ignore the hostility, that’s to be
expected at first and overcome, I can overcome hostility, and the way to
do that is simple : 1) make people Feel appreciated and cared about, 2)
make people Feel included, 3) make people want to do things with those
plugins themselves by asking them for their ideas on what plugins they
could imagine.

Now I Know that it is possible to overcome such problems if I actively
apply my mind to Finding an emotional or social path to making people
Feel good.

The most important part of that is to believe that I can do that
successfully. I used to lack the ability to imagine that I could succeed
at overcoming hostility, but by doing the exercises in my Cognitive
Behavioral Intervention classes in prison situations, I have started to
see that I can,[page 22 follows] started to believe that I can,

If you believe you can do it, you usually can, when it comps to making
things go well with others, If you focus on Finding a way past a
problem, instead of on your Feelings of having been wronged, you can
usually get past a relationship hiccop. If you Fail, you’ve lost little
to nothing in making the attempt, so why Fear to make the attempt?
Contrary to what young men so often Fear, if you Fail in such an attempt
you don’t lose Face - you gain respect From others watching you try -
especially the older ones. If you make a habit of always trying, you
will inevitably get good at it,

*13

One of my dreams is to someday convince the State Legislature to teach
the curriculum they teach us prisoners, in elementary school, that
people like me can learn it better without having to go to prison to
learn it, I’m try my to convince some people to pitch it to
legislators—if any one would like to help with that please let me know.
It will help with more than just avoiding prison—it will help with all
relationship conflicts, and who does not have those…? The prison
parenting class should be taught in High School too…[page 23 follows]

An example of what I could have hand led differently was when Viro
announced that there was a race condition in our code, but that he would
not tell us where it was because if we could not audit our code for race
conditions we should not be allowed into the kernel, Viro was this guy
whose career focus was lacking, I didn’t know any thing about auditing
code for race conditions, and disappointingly Google didn’t get me any
where in looking for how does one audit for race conditions. My attitude
at the time was that it sounded like necessary but tedious work, really
tedious, that hopefully the guys who were doing the debugging would
figure out while I tried to get the money for their next pay check. 14 I
should have done more than communicate the problem, I should have asked
“what is the audit for race conditions plan, and help me find literature
on how to do it, and then let’s divide up the relevant code and do it,
all code to be audited by two different people". Race conditions are
very expensive to debug when they are rare—auditing would have saved
money. This was an area where we all needed to improve our methodology. 15

I Failed to communicate by Failing to ask if this was an area where my
guys didn’t know how to do it and were too shy to say so, and in this
were just like me.[page 24 follows]

What I should have done was ask Viro instead of Google, and invite him
to come to Moscow, stay in my spare room, sample the world’s wildest
nightlife (Moscow), and give our team a seminar on auditing for race
conditions and supervise us as we each took a part of the code and did
the audit per his instructions, We had as much motivation to eliminate
race conditions, no, much more because it was our code and business, as
Viro, There was no good reason for us to not be allies in this. There
was only a bad reason I was responding to the initial hostility rather
than reaching past it to make an ally of someone who had a lot of
potential to be very helpful to us. Now of course he might well have
refused the invitation, said he was too busy, told us to get better at
using Google, etc., but even if he refused the invitation he would
probably have felt mollified somewhat. If he took us up on the
invitation all of us could have made valuable Friendships likely to have
been useful for the rest of our lives, as we fed him shi [sic] (щи,
Russian soup, one of the best aspects of Russian cuisine is their soups)
and pelmenie (elmeni, Georgian spicy pot stickers), and took him to
dance the night away when the race conditions were gone.

I could have similarly approached other Key persons in the Kernel
community who expressed unhappiness at our contribution offering, if
only I had had then the social confidence, and belief that it is
possible to overcome initial touches of alienation, that I have now
developed.[page 25 follows]

Instead I responded to hostility with my own hostility.

In prison, on MLK day, I learned of MLK’s words:

“Only love can fight hate.”

I have come to appreciate, and fully understand those words, I wish I
had understood them then.

There were a bunch of such situations that I handled in ways that did
not make people Feel appreciated or included, and I want to take this
opportunity to apologize For those.

I especially want to apologize to the other members of our team who
invested so much of their lives into our dream only to be failed by me,
and by my alienating others in the Linux kernel community.

The Linux kernel is not about benchmarks, it is about a community of
people who enjoy working together in the Christmas Spirit to give to the
users all year long. Now that I have changed who I am I can better see that.

I don’t know what is in Reiser 5—I haven’t been told, and I cannot go on
the Internet. Edward Shishkin is a very bright man though, and one of my
regrets is that I didn’t spend more time with him, I am confident he has
done some thing nice in Reiser 5. Who knows, maybe he has done some nice
plugins that I would never have imagined. The compression plugin Edward
coded was the one thing yielding the biggest performance boost of all
the things we did in Reiser 4. Chances are high that I won’t be[page 26
follows] released anytime soon. I encourage people to allow those who
worked so hard to build a beautiful filesystem for the users to escape
the effects of my reputation. I invite you to empathize with what this
has been like for them for a minute.

Let their dreams escape from the harm I have done, if that feels right
to you.

§ 4
Conclusion
Iwish I had learned the things I have been learning in prison about
talking through problems, and believing I can talk through problems and
doing it, before I had married or joined the LKML. I hope that day when
they teach these things in Elementary School comes.

I thank Richard Stallman for his inspiration, software, and great
sacrifices,

It has been an honor to be of even passing value to the users of Linux.
I wish all of you well.

Hans
11/26/23

P.S. Letters are welcome, Please send them to:

Hans Reiser
chcf g31008
p.o. box 213040
Stockton, ca, 95213
u.s.a.

You can also send texts. or video chat or phone about, if you go to
gettingout.com, or phone chat if you send a phone number, for me to call
and accept the phone call.
[unhandled content-type:application/pgp-keys][unhandled content-type:application/pgp-signature]

  Last update: 2024-01-18 15:58    [W:1.591 / U:0.212 seconds]