SubjectRe: [BUG] One-liner array initialization with two pointers in BPF results in NULLs
On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 10:51 PM Andrii Nakryiko
<andrii.nakryiko@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 12:12 PM Andrii Nakryiko
> <andrii.nakryiko@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > We don't have this use case before. In general, people do not put
> > > string pointers in init code in the declaration. I think
> > > bpf_seq_printf() is special about this and hence triggering
> > > the issue.

Fair enough, the only reasonable usecase that I can think of is a
selftest like the one I wrote for bpf_snprintf and the macro in
bpf_tracing.h will be a good enough workaround for that.

> > > To support relocation of rodata section, kernel needs to be
> > > involved and this is actually more complicated as
> >
> > Exactly. It would be trivial for libbpf to support it, but it needs to
> > resolve to the actual in-kernel address of a map (plus offset), which
> > libbpf has no way of knowing.

Ah right, I see now, thanks! Indeed this would be quite complex and
probably not very useful.

> Having said that, libbpf should probably error out when such
> relocation is present, because there is no way the application with
> such relocations is going to be correct.

Good point, it would have helped me notice the problem earlier. :)

  Last update: 2021-03-10 23:08    [W:0.039 / U:1.016 seconds]