SubjectRe: [BUG] One-liner array initialization with two pointers in BPF results in NULLs
On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 12:12 PM Andrii Nakryiko
<andrii.nakryiko@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 8:59 AM Yonghong Song <yhs@fb.com> wrote:

> > > Right :) Thank you for the explanations Yonghong!

> > > Just for my own edification, why is .rodata relocation not yet handled
> > > in libbpf ? Is it because of a read-only mapping that makes it more
> > > difficult ?
> >
> > We don't have this use case before. In general, people do not put
> > string pointers in init code in the declaration. I think
> > bpf_seq_printf() is special about this and hence triggering
> > the issue.
> >
> > To support relocation of rodata section, kernel needs to be
> > involved and this is actually more complicated as
>
> Exactly. It would be trivial for libbpf to support it, but it needs to
> resolve to the actual in-kernel address of a map (plus offset), which
> libbpf has no way of knowing.

Having said that, libbpf should probably error out when such
relocation is present, because there is no way the application with
such relocations is going to be correct.

> > the relocation is against .data section. Two issues the kernel
> > needs to deal with:
> > - .data section will be another map in kernel, so i.e.,
> > relocation of .rodata map value against another map.
> > - .data section may be modified, some protection might
> > be needed to prevent this. We may ignore this requirement
> > since user space may have similar issue.
> >
> > This is a corner case, if we can workaround in the libbpf, in
> > this particular case, bpf_tracing.h. I think it will be
> > good enough, not adding further complexity in kernel for
> > such a corner case.
>
> Is there some way to trick compiler into thinking that those values
> are not constant? Some volatile and pointers game? Or any other magic?

> > > Indeed, I was using a macro similar to BPF_SEQ_PRINTF and this is how
> > > I found the bug.

> > > Oh, that is unfortunate :) Thanks for looking into it! I feel that the
> > > real fix would be in libbpf anyway and the rest is just workarounds.
> >
> > The real fix will need libbpf and kernel.

> > > (2) is a bit impractical for my actual usecase. I am implementing a
> > > bpf_snprintf helper (patch series Coming Soon TM) and I wanted to keep
> > > the selftest short with a few BPF_SNPRINTF() calls that exercise most
> > > format specifiers.

> > > Just for context, this does not only happen for strings but also for
> > > all sorts of pointers, for example, when I try to do address lookup of
> > > global __ksym variables, which is important for my selftest.
> >
> > Currently, in bpf_seq_printf(), we do memory copy for string
> > and certain ipv4/ipv6 addresses. ipv4 is not an issue as the compiler
> > less likely put it into rodata. for ipv6,
> > if it is a constant, we can just directly put it into the format
> > string. For many other sort of pointers, we just print pointer
> > values, I don't see a value to print pointer value for something like
> > static const param[] = { &str1, &str2 };
> > bpf_seq_printf(seq, "%px\n", param[0]);
> >
> > The global __ksym variable cannot be pointing to rodata at compile time,
> > so it should be fine.

> > > I think this would be a good workaround for now, indeed. :) I'll look
> > > into it today and send it as part of my bpf_snprintf series.
> >
> > If we can make it work, that will be great! thanks for working on this.
> >

> > > Thanks!

  Last update: 2021-03-10 22:53    [W:0.047 / U:1.196 seconds]