    SubjectRe: next/master bisection: baseline.login on rk3288-rock2-square
    On Thu, Feb 04, 2021 at 11:27:16AM +0100, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
    > Hi Russell,
    >
    > If Guillaume is willing to do the experiment, and it fixes the issue,
    > it proves that rk3288 is relying on the flush before the MMU is
    > disabled, and so in that case, the fix is trivial, and we can just
    > apply it.
    >
    > If the experiment fails (which would mean rk3288 does not tolerate the
    > cache maintenance being performed after cache off), it is going to be
    > hairy, and so it will definitely take more time.
    >
    > So in the latter case (or if Guillaume does not get back to us), I
    > think reverting my queued fix is the only sane option. But in that
    > case, may I suggest that we queue the revert of the original by-VA
    > change for v5.12 so it gets lots of coverage in -next, and allows us
    > an opportunity to come up with a proper fix in the same timeframe, and
    > backport the revert and the subsequent fix as a pair? Otherwise, we'll
    > end up in the situation where v5.10.x until today has by-va, v5.10.x-y
    > has set/way, and v5.10y+ has by-va again. (I don't think we care about
    > anything before that, given that v5.4 predates any of this)

    I'm suggesting dropping your fix (9052/1) and reverting
    "ARM: decompressor: switch to by-VA cache maintenance for v7 cores"
    which gets us to a point where _both_ regressions are fixed.

    I'm of the opinion that the by-VA patch was incorrect when it was
    merged (it caused a regression), and it's only a performance
    improvement. Our attempts so far to fix it are just causing other
    regressions. So, I think it is reasonable to revert both back to a
    known good point which has worked over a decade. If doing so causes
    regressions (which I think is unlikely), then that would be unfortunate
    but alas is a price that's worth paying to get back to a known good
    point - since then we're not stacking regression fixes on top of other
    regression fixes.

    FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!

      Last update: 2021-02-04 11:51    [W:5.224 / U:0.480 seconds]