SubjectRe: Linux 5.15
On Mon, 01 Nov 2021, Andy Shevchenko wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 31, 2021 at 11:09 PM Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> >
> > It's been calm, and I have no excuse to add an extra rc, so here we
> > are, with v5.15 pushed out, and the merge window starting tomorrow.
> >
> > Which is going to be a bit inconvenient for me, since I also have some
> > conference travel coming up. But it's only a couple of days and I'll
> > have my laptop with me. Sometimes the release timing works out, and
> > sometimes it doesn't..
> >
> > Anyway, the last week of 5.15 was mainly networking and gpu fixes,
> > with some random sprinkling of other things (a few btrfs reverts, some
> > kvm updates, minor other fixes here and there - a few architecture
> > fixes, couple of tracing, small driver fixes etc). Full shortlog
> > appended.
> >
> > This release may have started out with some -Werror pain, but it
> > calmed down fairly quickly and on the whole 5.15 was fair small and
> > calm. Let's hope for more of the same - without Werror issues this
> > time - for the upcoming merge window.
>
> Do we really now have any use of COMPILE_TEST=y WERROR=y with `make W=1`?
> To me it seems every CI just disabled it because it's impossible to
> build a kernel anymore.
>
> What is the roadmap of fixing this (to some extent)?
>
> I remember that Lee spent a lot of time cleaning up W=1 cases. Maybe
> he knows the state of affairs of this with -Werror enabled...

Probably never. I managed to get the warnings down from ~18k to ~2k
IIRC. However subsystems like GPU keep adding 10's of them every
release, so the job became perpetual.

I do plan on doing another rotation once I get a bit more free time.

--
Lee Jones [李琼斯]
Senior Technical Lead - Developer Services

  Last update: 2021-11-01 17:20    [W:1.730 / U:0.400 seconds]