SubjectRe: Linux 5.15
On Sun, Oct 31, 2021 at 11:09 PM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> It's been calm, and I have no excuse to add an extra rc, so here we
> are, with v5.15 pushed out, and the merge window starting tomorrow.
>
> Which is going to be a bit inconvenient for me, since I also have some
> conference travel coming up. But it's only a couple of days and I'll
> have my laptop with me. Sometimes the release timing works out, and
> sometimes it doesn't..
>
> Anyway, the last week of 5.15 was mainly networking and gpu fixes,
> with some random sprinkling of other things (a few btrfs reverts, some
> kvm updates, minor other fixes here and there - a few architecture
> fixes, couple of tracing, small driver fixes etc). Full shortlog
> appended.
>
> This release may have started out with some -Werror pain, but it
> calmed down fairly quickly and on the whole 5.15 was fair small and
> calm. Let's hope for more of the same - without Werror issues this
> time - for the upcoming merge window.

Do we really now have any use of COMPILE_TEST=y WERROR=y with `make W=1`?
To me it seems every CI just disabled it because it's impossible to
build a kernel anymore.

What is the roadmap of fixing this (to some extent)?

I remember that Lee spent a lot of time cleaning up W=1 cases. Maybe
he knows the state of affairs of this with -Werror enabled...

--
With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko

  Last update: 2021-11-01 16:09    [W:0.048 / U:2.636 seconds]