Subject[ANNOUNCE][CFP] Real-Time Micro Conference at LPC 2020
Date
This is the call for proposals for the Real-Time Micro Conference (RT-MC) at the
Linux Plumbers Conference 2020. It will take place online during the Linux
Plumbers Conference on August 24th-28th, 2020.

The real-time micro-conference targets discussions about new features or open
problems related to real-time Linux ecosystem. Each accepted topic will receive
a 30 minutes slot. The presenter - or mediator - will introduce the problem in
the first 10 minutes with a short presentation and then promote the discussion
in the next 20 minutes.

We encourage submissions that do not present a final solution. Instead, that
serves to get feedback from the community, to point to action items for future
development, and that can result in patches for the real-time Linux ecosystem in
the future.

Please submit your proposals on the LPC website at:

https://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/event/7/abstracts/#submit-abstract

And be sure to select "Real-time MC" in the Track pulldown menu.

Proposals must be submitted by August 2nd, and submitters will be notified of
acceptance by August 9th.

About the real-time MC:

Since 2004 a project has improved the Real-time and low-latency features for
Linux. This project has become know as PREEMPT_RT, formally the real-time patch.
Over the past decade, many parts of the PREEMPT RT became part of the official
Linux codebase. Examples of what came from PREEMPT_RT include: Mutexes,
high-resolution timers, lockdep, ftrace, RT scheduling, SCHED_DEADLINE,
RCU_PREEMPT, generic interrupts, priority inheritance futexes, threaded
interrupt handlers and more. The number of patches that needs integration has
been reduced in the last years, and the pieces left are now mature enough to
make its way into mainline Linux. For real, this year could possibly be the year
PREEMPT_RT is merged™!

In the final lap of this race, the last patches are on the way to be merged, but
there are still some very few pieces missing. When the merge occurs, the
PREEMPT_RT will start to follow a new pace: the Linus one. So, it is possible to
raise the following discussions:

- The status of the merge, and how can we resolve the last issues that
block the merge
- How can we improve the testing of the -rt, to follow the problems
raised as Linus tree advances
- What’s next?

Other possible topics:

- Merge – what is missing and who can help?
- New tools for PREEMPT_RT analysis
- How do we teach the rest of the kernel developers how not to break
PREEMPT_RT?
- Stable maintainers tools discussion & improvements
- The usage of PREEMPT_RT on safety critical-systems: what do we need to
do?
- Interrupt threads are RT and are not protected by the RT Throttling
- How can we prevent interrupt thread starvation from a rogue RT task?

If your topic is not listed here, it is a good sign that you need to propose
your talk! This micro-conference is about new things, not things that people
already know, so go ahead and fill a proposal!

If you have any further doubt, feel free to contact me.

Thanks!
-- Daniel

  Last update: 2020-07-03 18:52    [W:1.463 / U:0.004 seconds]