SubjectRe: [patch v2] mm, thp: fix defrag setting if newline is not used
On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 14:11:48 -0800 (PST) David Rientjes <rientjes@google.com> wrote:

> If thp defrag setting "defer" is used and a newline is *not* used when
> writing to the sysfs file, this is interpreted as the "defer+madvise"
> option.
>
> This is because we do prefix matching and if five characters are written
> without a newline, the current code ends up comparing to the first five
> bytes of the "defer+madvise" option and using that instead.
>
> Use the more appropriate sysfs_streq() that handles the trailing newline
> for us. Since this doubles as a nice cleanup, do it in enabled_store()
> as well.

I can't really I really understand this prefix-matching thing that
we're taking away. Documentation/admin-guide/mm/transhuge.rst doesn't
appear to mention it. Could we please add a paragraph to the changelog
to spell all this out. Bonus points for formally describing the
behaviour which we're removing!

Thanks.

  Last update: 2020-01-19 02:05    [W:0.068 / U:0.592 seconds]