SubjectRe: [patch] mm, thp: fix defrag setting if newline is not used
On 1/17/20 10:43 AM, David Rientjes wrote:

>>> Gee, why is this code so complicated? Can't we just do
>>>
>>> if (sysfs_streq(buf, "always")) {
>>> } else if sysfs_streq(buf, "defer+madvise")) {
>>> }
>>
>> Yeah, if we knew this existed :)
>>
>> We would lose the prefix matching but hopefully nobody will complain.
>>

> I tested Vlastimil's patch and it works as intended so I was about to
> modify the changelog and send his patch and ask for a sign-off line
> because I think I agree the *partial* prefix matching has ~0.1% chance of
> breaking userspace and that 0.1% chance outweighs my desire to make the
> code consistent for all options.

If prefix matching worked with "echo alw > /sys..." then I would expect
some script out there relies on it, but since it only works with "echo
-n alw > /..." then perhaps there's no such script :)

> But if userspace were broken by this, then at least it was already broken
> for "defer" depending on newline vs no newline. (What we do know is that
> nobody has used "defer" for the past couple years without a newline :).
>
> If nobody objects, I'll test and send Andrew's version with the changelog
> because I think we all agree the risk of breakage here is very minimal and
> actually fixes the case for defer.

Agreed.

  Last update: 2020-01-17 11:12    [W:0.528 / U:0.164 seconds]