SubjectRe: Default governor regardless of cpuidle driver
On Fri, Aug 30, 2019 at 1:09 PM Joao Martins <joao.m.martins@oracle.com> wrote:

> On 8/29/19 10:51 PM, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
> > On 29/08/2019 23:12, Joao Martins wrote:
> >
> > [ ... ]

> >> Yes.
> >>
> >> If you use Qemu you would add '-overcommit cpu-pm=on' to try it out. ofc,
> >> assuming you're on a relatively recent Qemu (v3.0+) and a fairly recent kernel
> >> version as host (v4.17+).
> >
> > Ok, thanks for the clarification.

> > The rating has little meaning because each governor fits a specific
> > situation (server, desktop, etc...) and it would probably make sense to
> > remove it and add a default governor in the config file like the cpufreq.
> >
> ICYM, I had attached a patch in the first message of this thread [0] right below
> the scissors mark. It's not based on config file, but it's the same thing you're
> saying (IIUC) but at runtime and thus allowing a driver to state a 'preferred'
> governor to switch to at idle registration -- let me know if you think that
> looks a sensible approach. Note that the intent of that patch follows the
> thinking of leaving all defaults as before haltpoll governor was introduced, but
> once user modloads/uses cpuidle-haltpoll this governor then gets switched on.
>
> [0] https://lore.kernel.org/kvm/c8cf8dcc-76a3-3e15-f514-2cb9df1bbbdc@oracle.com/
>
> I would think a config-based preference on a governor would be good *if* one
> could actually switch idle governors at runtime like you can with cpufreq -- in
> case userspace wants something else other than the default. Right now we can't
> do that unless you toggle 'cpuidle_sysfs_switch', or picking one at boot with
> 'cpuidle.governor='.

FWIW, I've been thinking about getting rid of the cpuidle_sysfs_switch
command line option and always allowing user space to switch cpuidle
governors at run time. At least I see no reason why that would not
work ATM.

  Last update: 2019-09-02 23:59    [W:0.049 / U:0.044 seconds]