SubjectRe: Default governor regardless of cpuidle driver
On 29/08/2019 23:12, Joao Martins wrote:

[ ... ]

>>> Say you wanted to have a kvm specific config, you would still see the same
>>> problem if you happen to compile intel_idle together with haltpoll
>>> driver+governor.
>>
>> Can a guest work with an intel_idle driver?
>>
> Yes.
>
> If you use Qemu you would add '-overcommit cpu-pm=on' to try it out. ofc,
> assuming you're on a relatively recent Qemu (v3.0+) and a fairly recent kernel
> version as host (v4.17+).

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

>>> Creating two separate configs here, with and without haltpoll
>>> for VMs doesn't sound effective for distros.
>>
>> Agree
>>
>>> Perhaps decreasing the rating of
>>> haltpoll governor, but while a short term fix it wouldn't give much sensible
>>> defaults without the one-off runtime switch.

The rating has little meaning because each governor fits a specific
situation (server, desktop, etc...) and it would probably make sense to
remove it and add a default governor in the config file like the cpufreq.

May be I missed the point from some previous discussion but IMHO the
problem you are facing is coming from the design: there is no need to
create a halt governor but move the code inside the cpuidle-halt driver
instead and ignore the state asked by the governor and return the state
the driver entered.

--
<http://www.linaro.org/> Linaro.org │ Open source software for ARM SoCs

Follow Linaro: <http://www.facebook.com/pages/Linaro> Facebook |
<http://twitter.com/#!/linaroorg> Twitter |
<http://www.linaro.org/linaro-blog/> Blog

  Last update: 2019-08-29 23:52    [W:0.062 / U:0.452 seconds]