SubjectSmarter Kconfig help
Guys,

We need to be smarter when writing Kconfig help. I'm just going
through updating my build trees with the results of 5.0 development,
and a number of the help texts are next to useless. For example,

PVPANIC - is this something that should be enabled for a host or
guest kernel? Answer: you have to read the driver code to find out.

IMX_IRQSTEER - which i.MX SoCs does this apply to? The help text
just says:

"Support for the i.MX IRQSTEER interrupt multiplexer/remapper."

which doesn't say which SoCs this should be enabled for - it turns
out that grepping for the driver's DT compatible string, none of
the 32-bit ARM cores have support for this, yet we still default
it to enabled there. It seems the help text should at the very
least tell the user that this is not applicable to i.MX SoCs with
32-bit ARM cores.

I'm sure there's many other instances of this... I suspect that
it's caused by review concentrating mostly on the technical aspects
of the code and the Kconfig help text just gets forgotten about.

Can we at least improve these two options please?

FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 12.1Mbps down 622kbps up
According to speedtest.net: 11.9Mbps down 500kbps up

  Last update: 2019-03-05 18:33    [W:0.120 / U:0.432 seconds]